Sunday, October 30, 2011

Journal vs Blog

So lately I've been wondering, should I treat this blog more as a journal of the things that happen in my life (like I've been doing) or should I dig a little bit deeper and talk about my ideas, opinions, thoughts, memories, and the like? So I did a quick search and found this website with over 300 journal prompts. It made me pretty excited so I figured I would start doing that too, along with the events of my life.

The one I picked today asks me to start off with "Sundays are..."

Sundays are the day I wake up early, get super cute and try to flirt with as many guys as I can at church. Okay, obviously it is more than that. If I was shallow, that is how my Sundays would be. I look forward to Sundays the most, because they are a day of rest! I know what you're thinking, isn't every day for you a day of rest? I know, I have a pretty easy schedule/life right now, but Sundays are so much more than just a day where you don't go to the store.

Sunday is a day for me to go to church and try to learn something about this wonderful Gospel that I didn't already know. For example, today was stake conference. And today in the afternoon session, I witnessed a miracle that I would call the "choir of angels." We had a stake choir perform the number "I Believe In Christ", one of my favorite hymns. They were a good-size choir, but still not very large. Well, midway through the song I felt the Spirit swell up inside of me in such a way that I had tears in my eyes and the most intense goosebumps ever. The sound coming from that choir was like that of a choir four or five times their size. It was simply amazing to hear their testimonies being sung in such a way that it hit me in the heart. I do believe in Christ. It was affirmed to me today in such a way that I will never forget. The stake President got up afterwards and told us, "Today you have witnessed a miracle. That was literally a choir of angels. Thank you, choir, for accompanying them." I felt so blessed to be there to witness it! It made this Sunday so much more special.

Sometimes I feel like Sundays can be too cluttered with meetings to make it truly a day of rest. Especially for my roommate Jaclyn, who is our wonderful Relief Society President. From 8 in the morning until well after dinner time, she is in meetings. I do suppose that in order to make a ward run smoothly, sacrifices must be made. Where would our ward be without a Bishop and his counselors, who are also in meetings from dawn to dusk on Sundays? My Sundays aren't nearly as busy, but they still consist of the regular 3-hour church block, ward choir right afterwards, visiting and home teaching on some days, and ward prayer that night. Lots of stuff going on, but that is the norm for a single's ward, I suppose.

I am also glad that there is a return of the Sunday nap!! My previous ward started at 12:30, but my new ward starts at 9:25, the perfect time :) That means after ward choir I have a glorious nap, along with plenty of time to read scriptures and books and to skype with family.

All in all, Sundays are the best day of the week :) There's no denying that!

What does Sunday mean to you?

No comments: