Friday, August 12, 2011

Have a soup pie....

Yes, this post is about Havasupai. In case the title confused you or something.

Ready to party! Told you my pack was huge!




The whole group


The pilot was way cool!

So excited to fly out in the helicopter!
We hiked in Thursday night to the bridge and slept there. Next morning we checked in at the village and then headed to the campsite. I woke up that morning feeling kind of sick but I hoped it would pass. But nope. The rest of the trip I felt sick as a dog, with a really bad sore throat, but I still managed to play with everyone else. Friday we visited Mooney Falls as a group, then most of the group headed off to hike to Beaver Falls. I have never had any desire to go there during all of my trips down there, so me and two others headed back to camp to take a glorious nap! Then we headed to Havasu Falls to chill and enjoy the sweet waterfall.

It was starting to get dark, and I was worried why the rest of the group hadn't come back yet. Right after it got dark they came back, with the news that Rochelle had hurt herself cliif jumping. It took them so long to get back because they had to take turns carrying her back, all 5 miles. I was surprised they made it at all! Turned out she couldn't walk without pain, so we made a plan. The rest of the group would hike out Saturday afternoon, after they were done playing at the other falls, as planned. Then me, Keith, and Rochelle would pay 80 dollars each to fly out. The helicopter didn't run until Sunday morning, so we had to sleep an extra day at the campsite.

I tell you what, that was the greatest 80 dollars I have ever spent!! I've hiked out of there four times before, so I think I deserved to fly out at least once. Besides, I was still super sick and so unable to hike 11 miles anyway. That helicopter was a blessing! The flight out was so cool, I loved being able to see the trail from the sky and see just how skinny and winding the canyon is where we hike. And seeing the switchbacks from the sky makes you wonder how we hike them at all! 

Even though we had some accidents, it was still a fun trip. I love that place and I still hope to visit it every year! Next time, I am bringing a smaller pack....haha! 

No comments: