Monday, May 9, 2011

What makes me miserable, makes me stronger in the end!

So, this past Saturday I set out to do one of two 20 mile runs that I have scheduled before my marathon. Which is in five weeks, by the way! Anyway, I really didn't have the best mindset when I set out. And, to top things off, about 6 miles in (hence, six miles away from my house) I was overcome with this nasty, sick feeling. The result was that the two gels and gatorade that I eaten in the last hour were now in the bushes, and I had no heart to go on. And I was six miles from home. And, it was the one time I forgot my cell phone. Wonderful. So I thought, maybe someone will see me sitting here on the curb and ask if I needed a ride home? But after 15 minutes of sitting on the curb I knew that wasn't gonna work. So then I started walking back home, and came across this family setting up for a garage sale. They wouldn't give me a ride home, even though I was pale and sweaty and obviously near tears! But, the mom did let me borrow her cell phone. Problem was, I only knew my dad's number, and he was currently out shooting guns in the desert. So, I walked home. That was the longest 6 miles of my life. So, my feet went 12 miles that day, and I am convinced that walking is much worse than running. Because it drags on forever!!

However, all is not lost for my marathon training! That's why I scheduled two 20 milers, so that if one of them didn't go right, I would have another chance. So I'm not worried. And this time I will eat a good dinner the night before so that I'm not jamming down gels and gatorade on a near empty stomach. Not good! I did have a wonderful 18-miler last weekend, which was a great confidence booster!

In other non-running related news, my little brother Weston is now Elder Clouse! He reported two weeks ago, and I suppose he's having a blast in the MTC. Who doesn't? The house is decidedly more boring without him here, and I still walk in the house after work expecting him to be watching tv or on the computer (which is all he did after he got knee surgery 6 weeks before he left). But I'm getting used to him being gone. It's just a bummer! But, he's where he is supposed to be, and I'm glad he's there!

Like I said before, the marathon is in 5 weeks and I am pretty sure I'm gonna crack 5 hours, if not 4:45. I am slow, but for my first marathon I didn't train nearly as well, and I ended up doing it in 6 hours. Which sucked. So 5 hours will be a HUGE improvement and I'll be happy with it! I'm excited to go to Utah, even though I just went last October. I get to go two weeks in a row! But I'll talk more about that some other time, if I ever get around to it...haha.

Have a good week, and happy running!!

No comments: