Monday, May 16, 2011

Ran for my life, literally!

So Saturday I was running (no surprise there) and I was on my 13th mile of a planned 20 (which ended up only being 15, but whatever) and I was trucking along in the bike lane. I like running in the bike lane, that way I can stare down cars as they come at me and I can say hi to bike riders. Anyway, I had my head down and my hat on, so I could only see what was directly in front of me. I always made sure there were no bikes coming every couple of seconds though.

And then it happened, like in slow motion. I saw my right foot come down directly in the middle of a HUGE PILE OF BEES. Yeah. There was a huge group of bees just chilling in my bike lane! Of course I screamed bloody murder and literally broke into the fastest sprint EVER. I'm convinced I set a world record for the quarter mile. I'm sure I looked like a complete idiot, sprinting full speed and continually screaming, but shoot, there was a swarm of bees out to get me! I could see the shadows of the bees behind me as I ran, and so I kept going until I was sure they weren't following me anymore. I'm pretty sure I took the bees by surprise, which is why they didn't keep chasing me. But man oh man was I shaking like a leaf and laughing my head off for like ten minutes afterwards! I had just averted death!! That is honestly my biggest fear, is getting stung by a bee. I never have and I never want to!

Four weeks until the marathon, and luckily I lived to run another day!!

1 comment:

Shelby Weight said...

alicia! that is hilarious!! i wish i couldve seen you. haha. well hilarious but super scary. i am deathly afraid of bees as well even though ive never been stung. goo luck with the marathon! thats sooo soon!!! how exciting :)