Sunday, May 22, 2011

Success! ,

Yesterday was my first complete 20-miler, and I couldn't be happier! Even when I trained for the St George Marathon way back in 2009 (have I really been running for over 2 years? Sweet!) I couldn't run the 20 miles without walking some of it. This time around I walked maybe a quarter of a mile, around mile 18, which was okay because I was still able to finish strong. I am fully confident that I can do this marathon without walking, I just have to get mind into it. This is my mindset for the marathon- 10 miles, 10 miles, and then a 10K. Running is 90% mind, 10% physical. That's been my biggest set-back throughout this whole training process, my mind continually plays games on me. Last week I was at mile 15 and I just gave up. This week I was completely "in it to win it", as Randy Jackson would say (I'm so over American Idol this year) and therefore I was able to finish the run, even after I stopped to walk for a little bit.

So now I have three weeks until the marathon. The hardest part of marathon training is over (thank goodness!) and so now begins the tapering segment of training. These last three weeks won't be about building fitness, but rather maintaining it. That means less mileage overall, but I can't decrease intensity. Which means I'll still be doing speedy runs and kind-of long runs. A lot of marathoners say they go crazy from the three weeks of decreased training, and I say they are crazy! Who wouldn't welcome less running and more time to do other stuff?? Ha ha! Now my Saturdays won't be spent in a coma after running ridiculously long runs!

Summer is officially here, but I don't have any big trips planned except for Utah in June (a week for EVMCO tour and then the next weekend for the big race!). Should be a good summer overall, though! I'm hoping to get in a lot of lake trips, I have finally learned how to wakeboard :) it's a blast, I'm a convert to water sports now!

Have a great week!

No comments: