Wednesday, October 2, 2013

new shoes and my first RUN!!

So, Monday was a great day. I got cleared by my doctor to start running again! Only problem is my old running shoes were so run down that I knew I need new ones. After a lot of sad puppy dog faces to my mom and promises of paying her back once I get a job, I was allowed to go buy a brand new pair of my beloved Mizuno Wave Riders. My mom couldn't quite understand the need for new shoes though, which led to some hilarious (to me) conversations.

Mom: "But you already have a pair of perfectly good shoes."

Me: "The cushioning is worn out and that can cause injuries."

Mom: "Who even replaces shoes every 5 or 6 months, anyway?"

Me' "Any runner with a brain. Shoes don't last more than 500 miles at most."

Mom: "A lot of people run in old shoes all the time."

Me: "A lot of people are also idiots."

Chic: (after I had already bought the new shoes) "Um, those are exactly the same as your old shoes."

Me: (face palm) No duh. Because they are a great shoe and I want to run in them again."

Honestly if I was talking to other runners they would totally get it, but even after watching me train for and run 2 marathons, 5 half marathons, and several relays you'd think my family would get it! Haha.

So yesterday, I headed out for my first real run, post-surgery. I have two new feet, might as well break them in like I break in new shoes.

I'm not gonna lie, it sucked.

I haven't ran a single mile since early March, and now that my feet are completely different than they were back then, my body is not only not used to running at all, it isn't used to my new body mechanics. My right foot (the one they fixed in May) felt great, only little tinges of discomfort here and there but not any pain. My left foot (2 months out from surgery and the one that has caused me a lot of grief) didn't know what was happening. The pain wasn't too awful but it was enough to where I think it showed on my face. If my foot could talk, it would probably say "stop, idiot."

BUT, I was able to get through about a mile of walking a little and running a bit more. I came home and had to head off to a choir practice and wouldn't you know it, my left foot was throbbing for most of the night. I honestly think my foot just needs to get used to being pounded over and over again. Haha.

Today I ran again. Two miles, this time. And it went much, much, MUCH better. I think I ran more than I walked and there was A LOT less pain than yesterday. I figure that the more I run, but still keep the intensity low, the better I will feel. I won't be doing any speed work soon, nor will I be doing any sort of high mileage for a while. But I think that high frequency, low intensity is the key here. My feet just simply need to get used to pounding and pushing off harder than if I were walking.

The way things have improved even between yesterday and today, I see no problem with running the turkey trot on Thanksgiving, which is a little less than two months from now. By that time, my right foot will be over 6 months out, and my left will be 4 months out. With the way my right foot feels NOW at 4 months out, I'm really excited to see how they will react to racing again.

This is just the beginning of the greatest time of my life!! So many great things happening soon :)

No comments: