Monday, September 17, 2012

The Holy Ghost is real, y'all.

A couple weeks ago, I was running up in Provo canyon on a beautiful crisp Saturday morning. There were so many people on the trail, so I felt totally comfortable running by myself. I was just finishing up about 6 miles of a pretty good run. I was up by Bridal Veil falls, and I knew that there was a part of the Bonneville Shoreline trail that started near there.

I have always wanted to try trail running, but I know it's not safe to do it by myself, which means I had yet to try it because no one will come run with me! Haha. Anyway, I ran To the trailhead (it's between the parking lot and the falls) and in a split second decision decided to run on it for as long as I could. So I start running on this trail, it climbs up pretty steeply while winding away from the paved trail below and all the people.

I'm only running for about five minutes when all of a sudden I stop in my tracks, like a sudden dead stop. I don't know why I stopped. I thought it was weird, but I was still excited to finally be running on a trail so I tried to keep going. I went another 30 seconds and all of a sudden it was like my feet stopped without me thinking about it.

It was at that point that I was like, okay, I'm obviously being told something. I stood there for a couple seconds, then the thought came really clearly, "Turn around!" Welp, I wasn't about to ignore that. So I turned around, ran the short distance back to the paved trail and parking lot, and left.

I have no idea why I had the prompting to turn around. And I will never know. But imagine if I had disobeyed the Holy Ghost? There could have been a bear, or a murderer, or I could have gotten lost (not likely! Hah). But I think in any situation, the HG doesn't just give you promptings for kicks. They are always for a reason.

I still fully intend on running that trail, but not until I find me a running buddy! Haha

1 comment:

Angie said...

You are a hundred percent right by all accounts that was the holy ghost prompting you to not go! I am thankful you are being watched over.