Saturday, September 5, 2009

20 fetching miles!

I mean good crap. It will be nice to say I ran a full marathon, but these training runs are hard! I just barely finished my big 20-miler, which is the farthest I'll go for training. Luckily for me, the weather this morning was amazing! I woke up at the obscene hour of 4 a.m., and I was out the door by 5. It was still pitch black so I stuck to the streets until it started to get light, then I cut over to the greenbelt. It was so stormy, at some points I was kind of scared for my life because the lightning was out of control! And, I got rained on three seperate times! After only 2 miles it started to rain, but it didn't last very long. Then when I was running by Freestone Park the heavens opened up and I got soaked, but it was glorious! I'd rather have cold and rain on a run than hot and sunny. Good thing I had my Camelbak so I could stow away my iPod, because it poured buckets! That one lasted about 15 or 20 minutes, and it cooled things off really good. Around mile 16 or 17, the storm started to get really bad and scary, I almost wanted to burst into tears because although I love lightning and thunder, being out in it with no shelter and miles from home was pretty stressful. Anyway, the last two miles it rained on me again, but I was glad to get home and out of the elements.
Well, now what? I have 4 weeks until St George, which will give me plenty of time to recover from this run and be in tiptop shape at the starting line. Maybe I should focus on working my abs and back for these next four weeks, because I start to slouch after awhile. Now all I need to do is eat healthy and cross-train a lot for these next 4 weeks, and I will be ready to take on the marathon!!

No comments: