Monday, September 14, 2009

Coming down the home stretch

Less than three weeks until the marathon, and I can barely stand it. I remember waaaay back in January when I made the goal to run a marathon this year.
I remember lying in bed before I went to sleep and getting little jolts of adrenaline as I imagined myself approaching the finish line. Seriously. I am so weird.
I even had dreams about running the marathon, and they were always nightmares that included sleeping through it, getting a broken leg halfway through, not finishing...seriously, those dreams were horrible.
I remember telling everyone that I was running one, and I could also remember how nobody really thought I could carry through. Nobody said it straight out, but I could tell. It wasn't until I started training in May that people could see how serious I was.
I remember the feeling when I got the email saying I got into the St George Marathon. Total happiness and excitement!
I remember waking up every single Saturday this summer at 5 or 6 in the morning in order to do my long runs. Didn't particularly enjoy that part.
There are a lot of things that I will always remember from this summer, but training for a marathon will be at the top of the list. I seriously cannot wait- only 19 days and I will be standing at the starting line, ready for the adventure that is the marathon; 26.2 miles of self-discovery!

3 comments:

Chelsie said...

I believed in you Alicia! Remember that one time we went to run down my street in the rain and then came back? haha. And remember how I was pregnant and you knew it before I even did?! We should start running together again in January!

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I want you to know that I believed in you! You are such an inspiration to me! I'm so proud of you!

I was reading some of your past posts and I got all stoked up for you. I mean seriously I could feel my heart race in excitement for you. I really want to figure out a way for me to come up there that weekend and cheer for you and support you! If I don't end up making it I'm going to tell my brother-in-law and his sweet in-laws to find you. I also want pictures taken of you crossing that finish line! Wow what an accomplishment. You are my hero! You GO GIRL!!!!

Love Ya,
JoLynn

P.S. Stay off the greenbelt running until it's way light. Too many scary things on that greenbelt lately!

Angie said...

I can't wait to watch you come over the finish line. We shall have a great time. Thanks for letting us share in your journey!