Sunday, August 23, 2009

um ouch

Okay, so yesterday was the biggest run I have ever done in my whole life! 18 MILES. Really. I didn't think it was possible, but I did it!

It all started out so wonderful. I left the house at 5:20 am, and the weather was gorgeous! Overcast, cool, with a couple sprinkles here and there. Perfect running weather, except for the 50% humidity. It didn't bother me too much though, because even though I sweated more buckets than normal, I had plenty of water in my trusty camelbak. I started out super slow, because I knew if I started out too fast that would be the end of it, I would never be able to hold out for the whole 18 miles. I took the east-west greenbelt that runs behind my neighborhood, and I ran from Greenfield to Power road, then turned around and ran alllll the way to McQueen road. Then I came back to Greenfield and ran a small loop around my neighborhood for the last two miles.

Needless to say, it was painful. When your feet aren't used to going that far, it starts to kill big time. I must admit that there were tears between miles 14 and 15, but I just complained to myself for a little bit then moved on. Seriously, my feet were screaming at me to stop, but I had no choice but to keep going. The sun came out at around 9, which didn't help me much. It turned hot pretty fast! And I won't even pretend like I ran the whole thing, I did take a couple short walking breaks and ended walking the last mile or so, because my feet just couldn't take anymore pounding.

I would not have finished this run without the Clif Bloks that I bought the day before, they're like these chewy fruit snack things that are pure carbs with some electrolytes thrown in, which gives me the energy to keep going. I ate two packs of them, and it definitely made a world of difference.

So yeah, that was my run! I am extremely sore right now, everytime I stand up after sitting down for a while it hurts a lot! This coming Saturday I have 8 miles to do (easy stuff!), then the week after that is 20 (gulp!), and then it is three easier weeks until the marathon. Oh man. I'm gonna admit, I want this to be over! Training is hard!

And on an unrelated note, I have recently become obsessed with the show Psych. Season 4 just started, and I've seen most of season 3. I just bought seasons 1 and 2 on Ebay for cheap, yay! So if you haven't seen it before, I HIGHLY recommend it!

Aren't Shawn and Gus adorable? Haha! I find Shawn (the one on the left) extremely attractive.

No comments: