Sunday, April 5, 2009

The week of amazing-ness....

So this week actually went really good. I got a new Runner's World issue, complete with my own training log and runner's guide. And I got my Running for Mortals book that I ordered on Amazon two weeks ago. I love getting stuff in the mail! Haha. Also, I ran with Chelsie a couple times this week, which is always fun. We ran 3 miles on Saturday, which is actually the farthest I've ran since January, so props to me! Ha ha. Also, I was crazy enough to want to do an interval workout on Wednesday. I say want because an interval workout is a speed workout that you do on a track, and it is pretty difficult for those like me who have poor running form and are not very fast. At all. So, what me and Julie did is we ran one lap around the track at max speed, took a recovery walk lap, then did it again. All in all, we did four running laps with the cool down laps in between. It was horrible. But I would definitely do it again. The sense of empowerment I got from this workout was so uplifting! This week I want to do 8x200, which is just half a lap, but you have less recovery time and you are running 8 times instead of 4. So, still a big challenge!

This week for one of my runs, I think I just want to explore. I'm going out to Chelsie's house twice this week, since I made her come out twice this week to mine. I think we'll just take an easy 3 and a half miler or so, and just explore her neighborhood and find good places to run. Sounds like fun to me, mostly because I usually have a set place in mind that I want to run to. This will be nice to just let loose and go.

This week I made some big improvements on my running form. Julie taught me some good stuff on Wednesday! I am now trying to use my larger leg muscles like quads, hamstrings, and gluts more in order to give my calves and shins a rest. My shins take some serious beating every time I run, so I'm hoping this helps a bit! Something about the way I run is making my shins hurt a lot, but even making improvements just this week has helped already. I feel like my strides are longer, but I'm still using about the same amount of energy. So, basically I'm being more efficient- going farther and faster, but not using more energy than I was before. It's great!

I'm missing the rec center! Since I'm no longer injured (as badly), I can now do my regular running workouts, instead of spending stupid amounts of time on the bike machine (which I hated, by the way. You don't go anywhere!). So now, I don't need the rec center. I might pick it back up in the summer when I might be able to pay for it myself or something, but right now I'm just gonna have to do ab work and pushups at home.

That's probably why running is such a wonderful sport. You don't need a gym or a special field to do it. You just walk out your front door and GO. All you need is a decent pair of running shoes. Now, when you want to start doing races, that's when it gets expensive! I spent 70 bucks this week when I registered for the St. George Marathon, but the good news is, is that if I don't get in then I get 65 bucks back. So, it's not a complete loss if I don't make it into this marathon. Although I would still be sorely disappointed!

Conference!! I LOVE General Conference. Although I need to rewatch Elder Oak's talk because I missed half of it while outside picking all the lemons. My dad said it was good, though. Can't wait for the Ensign!

Sorry for the long post, but I guess I'm just putting off doing my homework. ;)

No comments: