Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Banner Desert

For my third (and last!!!) clinical, I am working 40 hours a week at Banner Desert hospital in the inpatient therapy services. Basically we treat people after they get surgery. It usually involves simply getting them out of bed and getting them mobile again. It is the PT's responsibility to decide where they should go after the hospital. Based on our recommendations, they either go home or to an inpatient rehab facility.

It's been a week and a half and so far I really like it. I like that the patients are all always different every day. It's rare for people to stay longer than three or four days. Each day is a different experience, and I think that's where I get bored in outpatient therapy. I've never been one for the same routine day after day, and seeing the same patients day in and day out got almost annoying. It's like every Monday or Thursday or whatever I would wake up and be like, oh great, I've got to deal with so-and-so today.

The great thing about inpatient is that if I get a difficult patient, I know they won't be my patient for more than three or four days. So it makes dealing with them a little bit easier. Also another great thing is getting to work in a hospital! The cafeteria is really all I care about. They have an amazing salad bar that I could eat at every single day and be happy. Which so far, I have. Haha. And something about being a Banner "employee" makes me feel proud of myself, and I am finally starting to feel like an adult. Hahaha! I'm thinking its about 5 or 6 years coming...

Anyway, this clinical is my favorite by far but the only downside is that I have to work two weekends while I am there :( I've never worked a Sunday in my life so it should be an interesting experience. Luckily I get two days off this week and two days off next week for working the weekend. Holla!

On another note, I am still working on my fitness goals but so far I've gotten a big fat F. At the end of the day my feet hurt so bad from being on my feet all day that the last thing I want to do is go to the gym or go running. I need to figure out some way around that... Maybe spend two hours at the gym on my days off? Haha!

No comments: