Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Mount Timp hike

I forgot to post about this one!! About a month ago I got a call from my friend Beau, and he's like, let's go hike Timp on Thursday! The plan was to start at midnight (technically Friday) and hike to the top in time for the sunrise. Of course I was in, how could I pass that up?? Never mind that the mountain is over 11,000 feet tall, which would make it the highest elevation I've been on EVER. Also the trail is about 14 miles round trip, what's not to love about that?

So Beau, his friend Jordan and I set out on our adventure. The hike up was not bad at all, I was mostly scared about bears! It was almost chilly but perfect for hiking. The best part was that it was so dark that I couldn't see how far we had to go, which made it so much easier to keep going at a pretty good pace. It took us about five hours to get to the top, we even had an hour to spare once we got there before the sun even came up. Of course, me being me I started singing "Circle of Life" when the sun appeared. I mean, my life is a musical after all. We hung out with the other people at the top who had braved the mountain, took some pictures, and then started down around 7:30 am. We were well above the tree line and could now see what we were hiking through on the way up. Before we had gone very far, we saw some mountain goats!! My very first time seeing them so of course I was excited out of my mind. We were able to get super close to them since they were so used to people, it is the most popular hike in the Wasatch after all, so they were used to people getting close. Anyway, got some great pictures of them.

The hike down was surprisingly hard, we were already so sore from the climb and so coming down was pretty brutal and slow. We had to cross this giant glacier-ice pack that took forever because it was so slippery. We had crossed it earlier in the way up but we hadn't been able to see how big it really was. However, I was able to take in the beautiful scenery and just enjoy being on this huge mountain that I've now grown to love. I took lots of pictures so enjoy some of my favorites!

1 comment:

Julie Button said...

Now you have officially made me want to go hiking! Mostly in Utah... It is making me want to take a trip there.