Sunday, April 15, 2012

100th Post!

The fact that it's taken me this long to get to 100 posts is a little pathetic, I mean I've had this blog since I started running back in 2009, three long years ago! My life has changed plenty since then. Most of my friends are married (no surprise there), I am now living in Provo (NEVER in my life did I think that would happen!), I'm studying physical therapy (a far cry from my original plan of animal science), and I've ran two full and two half marathons, with a smattering of 10K's, 5K's, and a Ragnar Relay.

I'm pretty happy with how my life has turned out so far. I absolutely love school and all the things that I am learning just makes me super excited to be working as a physical therapist assistant in just a year from now (hopefully!!). For now, I'm just running my little heart out, flirting with every man I can, and learning to love Utah as best i can. But let's get real, Arizona is the greatest place in the world and I count down the days every time I get to go back.

In other news, I have a theory about the Hunger Games movie. If you haven't seen it yet, please get off the computer and go see it NOW because it was freaking amazing. It was one of the best book-to-movie that I have ever seen. I got tickets last minute to the midnight showing and I was so glad I did! Anyway, my theory: so, by making the Hunger Games into a movie, the makers of the movie basically turn us into the citizens of the Capitol. Which means that the way we react the the violence in the movie, the way we react to seeing children kill children, shows what kind of people we are. Are we really like the citizens of the Capitol, who relish in seeing the violence unfold, or are we purely disgusted and quite a bit disturbed by what we see on the screen? I was definitely part of the latter group, I was flinching and gasping every time a tribute was killed, even if it was a tribute who you wanted to hate because they loved to kill, such as Clove or Cato. And yes, a tear was shed when Rue was killed, even though I knew it was coming. She was just the cutest thing ever. Now, there were people in my theater who were cheering at every death and who were acting just as I would imagine the Capitol citizens would act while they watched the Hunger Games on television. It was very interesting to see.

There was someone on facebook who posted that they weren't going to see the Hunger Games because they didn't condone violence. Okay, first of all, they obviously didn't read the book, because in the book you are so disgusted at what is happening to these kids, and the violence isn't at all glorified. In the movie, it wasn't like a normal action movie where the violence is totally glorified and there's blood and gore everywhere. Yes, the violence was there, but it was pretty muted and I thought the other themes of the movie stood out more. So basically what I'm getting at is if you didn't see the movie because you don't "condone violence" then I feel that's pretty self-righteous. Because obviously the only reason I saw the movie was I just couldn't wait to see kids kill each other. Riiiiight......

Anyway, rant over and the next two weeks are going to be crazy so let's hope I make it out alive! Then I have a weekend in Moab and then a short week in Arizona before I start 12 weeks of a crazy, insane school schedule! Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Julie Button said...

But you said yourself by going and watching it I become the capital fixated on seeing what happens! :) jk I'll see it one day, i don't know if I'll convince Isaac to pay to go see it, so we might wait til it is on dvd. But right now I'd rather go see mirror mirror... My girlyness loves fairy tale remakes!
This time when you are down we need to actually do stuff with you! Bobas, shopping, lunch, you name it!