Saturday, February 12, 2011

Good morning, now panic!

That's how I felt this morning. My head popped off the pillow, and when I looked at the clock, it read 7:12 a.m. I had a half marathon at 7:50. Needless to say I jumped out of bed, got dressed, brushed my teeth, grabbed all my race essentials, and ran out that door in five minutes. Then, after felony speeds of over 60 mph on surface streets (don't judge) I made it to the starting line with two minutes to spare. However, I realized as I was putting on my race number that I was definitely not in the right mindset to run 13.1 miles. Remember, running is 10% physical and 90% mental. I was stressed out and already winded from sprinting from the parking lot across the street. So, as the half marathon started, I changed my race to the 10K. There was no way I was running that half!! Ha ha! Luckily, the 10K didn't start for another 20 minutes, which was the perfect amount of time to collect myself, calm down a bit, and stretch nice and deep. It felt great, since my legs were still sore from my Wednesday workout. 

This race turned out to be one of the best I've ever done! Which made me super happy :) The course was pretty difficult, the first three miles are all uphill, but surprisingly enough I was able to keep a really good pace the entire way up. Then I really let loose coming back downhill, which I regretted later because there were some surprise hills near the end that I wasn't prepared for. But I kept up pace, and crossed the finish line in about 1:02 (I don't know my official results yet). I was exhausted! Hills really take it out of you! But, the whole point of doing this race was to train for the Ragnar relay coming up in two weeks, where I know I will run into the occasional hill. It was great practice! Also, be prepared for a long post after that race, it's a 24 hour, 200 mile relay :) should be a blast!! 

Recently, a friend and I have tried to cut extra and unneeded sugar out of our diets, like candy, cookies, brownies, cake, ect. The first day was so hard! But after that it got pretty easy, I wasn't tempted that much. It's been three weeks and I have eaten hardly any sugar or sweets. It's legit! Now our goal these next couple weeks is a contest to see who can lose five pounds the fastest. I think I can win! Haha...maybe. It's gonna be fun! 

Anyway, these next couple weeks might be stressful, given that I am planning the Ragnar for our team, so I have to make sure 11 other people are taken care of and ready to go! This has been almost three months in the making, so I am so stoked!! Wish us luck!  

No comments: